sheetz has become a legend for its unique C Store atmosphere and product mix but did you know;
- The business started out as a dairy wholesaler, then began operating dairy stores in the Altoona area selling milk, cheese, meats, and newspapers. Around 1973, the company began selling gasoline, Sheetz said.
- They were the first to develop touch-screen monitors,” Sheetz said.
In the late 1980s, a Sheetz family member noticed touch-screen technology at a trade show. By 1993, Sheetz debuted touch-screen monitors — a first for the convenience store and restaurant industry, which had previously relied on and paper-and-pencil ordering system.
- In Pennsylvania, there’s a major rivalry between Sheetz in western Pennsylvania and Wawa in eastern Pennsylvania. And though they are fierce competitors, the two maintain “a very respectful relationship,” Sheetz said.
- At the Sheetz drive-through, customers can order food — and pick up milk, bread, or anything else needed in a hurry.
- The large menu at Sheetz is rare among other gas station chains. “You can get restaurant-quality food at a gas station,” Sheetz said. Executive Chef Dan Coffin is constantly developing new food items. He has has a degree in culinary nutrition from Johnson & Wales University and is Marine Corps veteran who fed America’s troops during his service.